Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act: Employment scheme by the Ministry of Rural Development, which provides at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year to every rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled work. Any Indian citizen above 18 years of age and living in rural area can apply for this scheme. The applicant gets employment guarantee within 15 days from the date of application.
Salary is deposited directly into the bank account/post office account of the applicant. Salary is paid in a week or maximum in fifteen days. Men and women are paid equally. MNREGA covers the entire country except the districts with 100% urban population.
Benefits of National Rural Employment
1. The applicant receives guaranteed employment within 15 days from the date of application.
2. Work is to be provided within a radius of 5 kilometers of the applicant’s residence if possible, and in any case within the Block. If the applicant lives more than 5 km away from the worksite, he/she will be entitled to a travel and subsistence allowance (10% of the minimum wage).
3. Wages are paid within a week, or fifteen days at most. Men and Women are paid equally.
4. Shade, drinking water, and first-aid are provided at every worksite.
Exclusive measures for the promotion of the participation of the disabled persons:
1. Identification of suitable works
2. Mobilization of disabled persons by focussing on awareness and special provisions
3. Specifically identified works for disabled persons in the case of large GPs
4. Preference to appoint as mates and as workers for providing drinking water, to manage crèches, etc., at the worksites
5. Adoption of tools and equipment/facilities at workplaces
6. Treating persons with disabilities with respect
7. Special drive to ensure 100 days of employment to such households
8. Provide a special job card of a distinct color
Specific attention and provisions for Senior Citizens:
1. Exclusive senior citizen groups may be formed and special works which require lesser physical effort are identified and allotted to these groups.
Specific attention and provisions for Internally Displaced Persons:
1. A special job card to be provided will be valid till these families are displaced and will lose its validity as soon as they return to their original place of residence.
National rural employment eligibility
1. The age of the applicant should be at least 18 years.
2. The applicant should be living in rural area.
National Rural Employment Application Process
Step 1: The application for registration may be given on plain paper to the local Gram Panchayat. An individual may appear personally before the Panchayat Secretary or Gram Rozgar Sahayak and make an oral request for registration, in which case the particulars required will be noted by the Gram Rojgar Sahayak or the Panchayat Secretary.
Application for registration should contain names of those adult members of the household who are willing to do unskilled manual work. Particulars such as age, sex, SC/ST status, Rashtriya Swastha Bima Yojana (RSBY) number, Aadhar number, Below Poverty Line (BPL) status and bank/post office account number (if s/he has opened one) must be provided in the application.
Step 2: The Gram Panchayat (GP) will verify the following details:
Whether the household is really an entity as stated in the application.
Whether the applicant household are local residents in the Gram Panchayat concerned.
Whether applicants are adult members of the household.
The process of verification shall be completed as early as possible, and in any case not later than a fortnight after the receipt of the application in the Gram Panchayat.
Step 3: All particulars of a household found to be eligible after verification, will be entered in the MIS (NREGASoft) by the Panchayat Secretary or the Gram Rojgar Sahayak (GRS) or a person duly authorized by the State Government.
Step 4: If a household is found to be eligible for registration, the GP will, within a fortnight of the application, issue a JC to the household. JC should be handed over to one of the members of the applicant household in the presence of a few other residents of the GP. The format of the Job Card is provided in the Annexure-5 of the scheme guidelines.
The detailed format for application for registration is provided in Annexure-3 of the scheme guidelines.
Registrations shall be opened throughout the year at the Gram Panchayat (GP) office.
Application for registration must be made on behalf of the household by any adult member.
1. Photograph of Applicant
2. Name, Age, and Gender of all NREGA Job Card Applicants from the applicant’s household
3. Name of Village, Gram Panchayat, Block
4. Proof of Identity (Ration card, Voter ID Card, Aadhaar, PAN)
5. Details of whether the applicant is a beneficiary of SC / ST / Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) / Land Reform (LR)
6. Specimen Signature / Thumb impression
How are salary seekers paid?
Payment of wages, unless exempted by the Central Government, will be made through the personal savings account of the workers in the respective banks or post offices.
Will the salary be paid on a monthly, weekly or daily basis?
Disbursement of daily wages on a weekly basis or in any case not later than a fortnight after the date on which such work was done.
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act National Rural Employment